As I was eating a particularly tasty dinner tonight, I started thinking about something Rip Esselstyn had said when he did a talk here in Vegas at Springs Preserve this year. He suggested that if you feel totally overwhelmed by figuring out what to eat and how to cook on the Engine 2 Diet, just pick 5 recipes you like for dinner and master them. Eat them all the time, and make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day or even for a couple of days. Most people don’t struggle with breakfasts on E2 or any of the McDougall programs—it’s lunch and dinner that can be tricky to navigate, especially during the work week. I love this way of eating because A. it is not a diet, despite the name and B. it’s really, really simple. I need things to be simple!
Here’s my top 5 favorite Engine 2 dinners:
1. School Lunch Bowl: Vegan whole wheat Mac and Cheese with broccoli, cannelini beans or a cut up tofu burger.
2. Hippie Bowl: millet/aduki beans/kale/1 tbs tahini sauce. 2 tbs of hemp seeds are a nice addition.
3. Soul Bowl: brown rice/black eyed peas/collard greens/BBQ sauce. Also good with roasted sweet potatoes.
4. Vegan Faux Fish Tacos: corn tortillas, seitan, sauerkraut or shredded cabbage, spinach, salsa. If I’m really hungry, I add a little avocado, too.
5. Zapata Bowl: black beans/yellow squash/spinach/corn/brown rice/salsa/fat free cheddar cheese sauce from Happy Herbivore.
All of these take not much time at all to put together, especially if you prepare the grains and sauces in advance. There’s also E2 compliant sauces available at Whole Foods or your local health food store if you don’t have the time to make your own sauces or condiments.
What are your fave five dinners?